Reports to: Director Project Management and Operations
Location: 167 Dwight Road, Suite 302, Longmeadow, MA 01106 or to be determined.
Objectives of the Role:
The Underwriter serves as the principal liaison between clients of Hampden Park Capital & Consulting (HPCC), the government and third-party vendors in order to successfully execute the transactions.
The Underwriter takes the lead on a portfolio of products and collaborates closely with all stakeholders to bring the projects to close in a timely manner. The Underwriter will work directly on the underwriting components of HPCC’s projects, and will collaborate with HPCC staff serving in consulting roles.
This position plays an integral role in providing underwriting and project management to clients and the HPCC team. This is a full-time position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Underwriting and Client Interaction
- Responsible for managing a portfolio of projects throughout the complete underwriting process from concept meeting to final loan closing.
- Responsible for the review, analysis, and conclusions of loan applications to HUD for the specific project portfolio.
- Clearly and concisely presents the key strengths and weaknesses of projects.
- Routinely communicates with clients and outside parties to obtain and clarify information on a timely basis and resolve outstanding issues.
- Conduct a critical review and analysis of all third-party vendor reports.
- Routinely applies “Best Practices” by adopting new strategies that help to increase efficiencies and improve clients’ experience.
- Assess transaction risk, provide risk mitigation strategies, and deal structuring recommendations.
- Ensure all project parties are working towards the same goals and timelines at all times.
- Works closely with HUD counterparts throughout each phase of a project.
- Provides HPCC staff with a weekly status update on each project. Works closely and openly with the HPCC team to discuss issues and suggested solutions.
- Move projects forward in a timely and efficient manner that results in and directly impacts the goals and objectives of HPCC.
- Attends concept meetings, site visits, openings, conferences and other functions as necessary.
- Ability and willingness to assist, provide insights to and work on consulting projects.
- Provide guidance and training to other staff.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Qualifications and Skills Needed
- A Bachelor’s degree with a major or substantial coursework in accounting, finance or economics is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years previous work experience underwriting FHA/HUD loans for multifamily is required.
- MAP/LEAN underwriter certificate is required.
- Demonstrated analytical skills with the ability to evaluate data quickly, make decisions based on imperfect information, and take actions in order to assist the team in moving projects forward.
- Independent worker with good project management knowledge and ability to adjust to ever changing environment.
- Highly developed writing, analytical, research and oral presentation skills.
- Highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills and a proven ability to multitask and to meet challenging deadlines.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Dedication to serving HPCC’s mission driven clients and fulfilling HPCC’s mission of expanding the stock of affordable housing, particularly for seniors.
- High integrity, internal drive to achieve and intellectual curiosity.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Adobe.Pay Level:
- Competitive with the industry and commensurate with prior experience.
Hampden Park Capital and Consulting is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Hampden Park Capital & Consulting (HPCC) is a nationally recognized capital provider and housing consultant that assists mission driven organizations in developing and operating an array of innovative housing and financing solutions. We are committed to delivering premier professional services and ongoing support, allowing our clients to successfully provide individuals with affordable, secure, and enriched living environments. Our focus is on assisting organizations that primarily serve low-income seniors. We are able to offer clients a seamless “one-stop shop” transition from our housing consultant services to our FHA insured mortgage banking services. We are proud to have provided housing and/or financing services to over 12,000 units dedicated to low-income seniors all across the country.
Mission Statement: To create and preserve affordable housing in partnership with mission driven organizations.
Vision Statement: A world in which everyone lives in a comfortable, safe, and stable home.